Re: I only want to see five tables with an Oracle user ID?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:24:28 GMT

The Pig wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Need some help. When connecting via ODBC to an oracle server, I want
> to only see let's say five tables. That's it. I don't want to see
> the system tables associated with a default user, only certain tables.
> How do I do this. I have a Oracle DBA telling me that it can't be
> done but I know that it can. Any help would be appreciated. A
> detailed answer would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> The Pig

I am very tempted to tell you that if you know it can be done even though your DBA tells you it can't that you should not come whining to us in an attempt to make your DBA look bad. You know it can be done ... go do it.

In fact, though, you may be right. But not knowing from where you are selecting your list of tables I can't be sure. But one thing I can tell you is that the following query will produce no data dictionary objects and only five tables. Which five is indeterminate.

SELECT table_name
FROM user_tables
WHERE rownum < 6;

If you mean the complete contents of five tables ... I can do it ... but I'm going to side with your DBA and not tell you how.

Perhaps rephrasing your question with more clarity might help.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Apr 23 2002 - 16:24:28 CDT