Re: Help: Is cost of explain plan reliable?

From: Michael Brown <mlbrown_at_apps-dba.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:17:28 -0400

On 22 Apr 2002 07:24:51 -0700, mfowler_at_dot.co.pima.az.us (m. fowler) wrote:

>It's recommended that DBMS_STATS be used in place of ANALYZE,
>depending on your version - let the db decide what needs to be
>analyzed, how much data to look at, how many buckets and so on.

On some platforms 'ANALYZE TABLE' is a fancy form of Russian Roulette, there is bug that is sometimes hit during analyze table which generates an ORA- error (probably 600, but I don't remember). If you hit this bug, then there is a chance that your database will halt. Luckily when I learned about this bug, I only had the error message. DBMS_STATS uses a different mechanism to collect the table statistics which is safe and 'ANALYZE INDEX' is apparently safe.