Re: How to restart an instance who failed in lack of archivelog space ?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 22 Apr 2002 23:46:15 -0700

Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message news:<3CC49B18.5000003_at_mytoys.de>...
> Frederic Payant wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there any way to restart an instance when it freezed
> > because of lack of space in archive log directory ?
> > It seems that shutdown and restart is the only way for it to
> > work again even if free space is allocated in archive log dir.
>

> I also discovered that archiving does not restart automatically.
> Connect to your instance as sys (sysdba) or internal, then issue:
>
> archive log stop;
> archive log start;

Is true that in some cases ARCH will not resume its work even after freeing disk space. I've encountered this problem on Windows NT, on Unixes I have no problems like this.
I have another way to force resuming of ARCH, so there is no need to stop archiving. Just set your archive destination (using ALTER SYSTEM) to the same directory as you're already using (of course after freeing that place). For example:

alter system set LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 =
"location=E:\oraarch\TEST01\archive\"

After that system will resume archiving, no restarting or stopping ARCH is needed.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.