Re: separate data/inidex

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 04:41:48 GMT

Cheers - you will of course note that the wording has changed between the versions. This change is for a reason - to remove the myth about indexes and data needing to be seperated.

This myth has been around for a long time - and unfortunately was actually started by an Oracle consultant (who will remain nameless). So it does permeate some of the earlier docs (which is why I asked you to point it out for me), but is slowly and steadfastly being exposed for the myth it is.

For the (currently) definitive document on data/disk placement, see the white paper on SAME (Stripe And Mirror Everything) at http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availability/pdf/oow2000_same.pdf

This is a good, generic replacement guideline that suits most workloads and also drives HA. It IS, however, a generic set of guidelines, and should not be treated as dogma. It is also subject to change as Oracle's IO profile, and the underlying capabilities of disk storage, evolve.