Re: Parralelizing Oracle processes

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 22:27:25 GMT

Oh, also, you should check the administration manuals to set up controls for the maximum and minimum number of Parallel Query servers, how many you wish to be prestarted and persist when the instance starts, how many more you wish to allow to be spawned, and such; otherwise PQ won't ever come up. (And yes, you do need Oracle Enterprise Edition or OPQ won't work at all.)

OPQ should never be confused with OPS (Oracle Parallel Server) or the newer clustering product. PQ allows multiple processors on the same machine to decompose and work on a query; OPS / etc permit you to group servers together to go after data stored on a common mass storage resource.

Which is not to say that you may not make use of both PQ (multiple processors on a server) and PS (multiple servers) techniques to address a particular issue.

RSH.