Re: Parralelizing Oracle processes

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 22:17:43 GMT

Frederic,

you have to tell Oracle what operations you want "parallellized" <- cringing at that word.

There are many places and different ways to let Oracle know this; none of this is of much use to you if you are not working on a multiprocessor system, and of dubious benefit to you if you do not have enough disk space (in spindles, or drives) to spread certain things out, and enough available memory to accomodate a larger Oracle SGA and to help buffer these operations.

Thank goodness it defaults to none instead of presuming what you might want!

For example:

If you have large SQL*LOADER loads from flat files into Oracle tables to do, you might set up to break the input file into several different pieces on different drives, create a SQL*Loader script that includes DIRECT, PARALLEL, etc; all that stuff is in the Oracle Utilities Reference Manual. (It's in English, sort of.)

Or, if you have say a massive flat table that needs to be processed either for derivative processing (like in a data warehouse) or is frequently involved in full table scans, you might wish to (say it's a 4 GB table and overhead and change) create a tablespace to house that table that is composed of 4 1 Gb datafiles, each on a different drive, and precreate and allocate that space before you SQL*LOAD the table, and of course, never DROP it, but if appropriate, only TRUNCATE it if you wish you empty it out completely.

In this case, supposing you have an 8 processor SMP (symmetrical multiprocessor) system, CREATEing, or ALTERing that table to have a DEGREE of 4, supposing you have enough CPU and memory, could greatly help.

RSH.