Re: Parralelizing Oracle processes

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:50:22 +0200

"Frederic Payant" <fpayant_at_club-internet.fr> wrote in message news:bur8cus0c9gvhtu61q9gauk4khs0o6v1qm_at_4ax.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've a little problem with Oracle 817 on Solaris : Is it parallel. I
> mean : all documentation, about orders, packages, init files seems to
> meet the idea that, by default, Oracle always parallelize operations,
> big scans, statistics and so on.
> But when I launch large jobs or stats, I very well see that these jobs
> are all done by one single processor (I currently work on a 8 procs
> domain).
> Did I miss something in doc; Must I set any parameter ? Is it becaus I
> use a 32bits version of Oracle ?
>
> Any info will be welcome (and don't hesitate to ask me any further
> information if needed)
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Regards
> Frederic PAYANT - junior DBA ;-)

Parallel Query is a function of the Oracle Enterprise Edition. But then again, citing an instructor from Oracle Netherlands: 'Who has Oracle Standard', assuming the answer to this was no one. If you have Oracle 8i EE you should be capable seeing parallel query or parallel execution show up in v$option.
It has definitely absolutely nothing to do with 32 or 64 bit. Oracle ought to pick up the correct number of cpu's, regardless of parallel query or not, you may want to check the cpu_count parameter, and set it if it's incorrect.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA