Re: separate data/inidex

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:27:30 +0100

I think the problem you've particularly highlighted here, Daniel, is the massive inertia that keeps manuals (and users, and 'experts') permanently wrong.

It looks as if the two extracts are the matching entries from the 8.1.7 and 9.0.1 manuals - and the 9.0.1 manual has FINALLY corrected an error that has been reproduced faithfully from the 6.0.27 manuals onwards.

Of course, it could always go further and suggest better ways of using disks to spread the I/O load evenly - but at least it has dropped the traditional error of indexes/tables in favour of a more 'neutral' comment about 'contending data files'. Unfortunately, few of us have the time to reread all 20,000 pages of the manuals on each new release to find the odd little paragraphs which are adjustments to previous errors - so the errors keep getting quoted.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Author of:

Next Seminar - Australia - July/August

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ