Re: poor performance

From: Tonia Stakemire <g00s3874_at_campus.ru.ac.za>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:06:06 +0200

I am using Oracle 9i. I didn't change the init.ora so it used the default settings which apparently aren't very good for large databases.

From reading up there are so many initialization parameters. Can you possibly give me some advice on which parameters have the most effect and what they should be set at. I can test it from there.

From reading up the most important parameters seem to be:

     block size which should be larger than it is. 8K or 16K maybe     Should I increase the max_sga_size and then make both the buffer pool size and the shared pool size bigger?

Also there are a whole lot of tablespace parameters that should be set. This is what I got from the documentation but it might be wrong? Maxextents= unlimited, PCTINCREASE=0, INITIAL and NEXT there is a formula, the data read is random so NOCACHE, CHUNK size as large as possible which is 32K, PCTFREE= 5 and PCTUSED=40, and global as mainly read only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Tonia