Re: Help with query to find buffer pool usage

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:33:26 +1000

In article <MtOw8.1$iF3.33_at_news.oracle.com>, you said (and I quote):
> I know this is out of context but can some one please explain the difference
> between the X$ and V$ views

X$ refers almost 1:1 to the in-memory structures and arrays in Oracle. V$ views are actually made up as normal views, with SQL that uses the X$ "tables" to make them slightly more understandable. Fascinating stuff to look at if you have the time.

There is a V$ view that actually contains the SQL used to build all the other V$ views from the X$ data. Can't remember its name but it's obvious if you do

select view_name from dba_views
where owner = 'SYS' and view_name like 'V_$%';

connected as user SYS. It's one of the many views (and many other mechanisms) used by folks like Steve Adams and Jonathan to figure out how things work inside Oracle.

HTH

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto