Re: Oracle RAC and LOB columns

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:40:20 +1000

I think you're confusing the Index Cluster segment type with the Real Application Cluster server configuration (not surprisingly, given the similarity of the names!).

The doco is therefore saying that Index Clusters (probably Hash Clusters too, but I don't have that information to hand) cannot be created with LOB columns, not that a regular heap table can't use LOBs in a RAC environment.

Confirmation of this interpretation is contained in the Application Developer's guide
(http://download-west.oracle.com/otndoc/oracle9i/901_doc/appdev.901/a88879/a dl08lo5.htm#121602)
where the following quote makes it clear what they are saying:

"LOBs are not allowed in clustered tables, whereas LONGs are allowed."

Notice the use of the phrase "clustered tables". They mean the "create cluster" command doesn't allow them, not that a 'create table' that happens to use a LOB will fail in a RAC setting. It won't.

Regards