Re: separate data/inidex

From: Daniel A. Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 20:08:09 +0100

Please excuse me if I beat this one to near death. But I thought the point of separation was that with multiple CPUs and multiple drives, on multiple controllers Oracle could simultaneously read tables and indexes. Apparently this is not the case.

So when I look at parameters such as multi_block_read_count the idea that putting table in a single extent, meaning a single physical area, will allow the heads to read large sections without the heads having to move is also not the case? If not, what is the point of a multi_block_read. My assumption based on what is being written in this thread is that the ideal situation is for the heads on a hard disk to bounce all over the place. One block here, one block there.

If you don't like the old rule. And I am hardly wedded to it. What would you replace it with? Chaotic access?

Daniel Morgan