Re: Problem with Oracle Report Server

From: Mihail Daskalov <mdaskalo_at_tlogica.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2002 11:54:12 -0700

Benjamin Lai <ywlaiben_at_so-net.com.hk> wrote in message news:<3CC273FD.EDEDF9E7_at_so-net.com.hk>...
> I've installed Oracle 9iAS on my IBM 6H0 server (OS: AIX 4.3.3).
> I want to use the Reports service but every time I run a report on
> the command line I get an error message like
>
> REP3000: Internal error starting Oracle Toolkit
>
> I've raised my problem in Metalink but Oracle's staff just
> keep on telling me I've set the DISPLAY variable wrongly.
>
> I did set the DISPLAY variable as
> DISPLAY=<my server>:0.0; export DISPLAY
> before starting the report service and I did it in an X terminal.
>
> Now that I know Oracle's staff couldn't help me, anybody
> can tell me if there's anything wrong with iAS on AIX?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Benjamin

Hi,
I've had this kind of problem under Linux. In my case it's because I don't have proper characterset in NLS_LANG. I can't use NLS_LANG=american_america.cl8mswin1251, because it's not supported by Forms6i, or I don't have any fonts with this characterset. I still don't know the exact reason for this.

Can you try changing your NLS_LANG to say AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1
in the reports_server script, and try again. be careful if you're updating your database in the report you can corruput your data.

The other thing I can think of is installing fonts for your encoding. This might help, but I'm not sure if this is the problem.

Please post to the newsgroup your findings.

You can experiment with different NLS_LANG values and try a report with
rwrun60m. If it doesn't start then the report server wont work either.

HTH,
Mihail Daskalov
Brainbench MVP for Oracle Admin Received on Sun Apr 21 2002 - 13:54:12 CDT