Re: PMON

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 06:05:43 GMT

PMON runs all the time and one of its jobs is to watch for dead sessions.

As all the Oracle manuals (and everyone elses') warn, never change priority of the core Oracle jobs; PMON, SMON, DBWR, RECO, and so forth must run at the same priority. This SNIPing notion is a relative newcomer to my worldview of Oracle; we just used to set session timeouts for inactivity, and depending on our UNIX version, that was sufficient.

PMON is generally awake all the time, as it has to do other things besides dealing with inactive sessions, most importantly, dealing with failed sessions and their dumps. PMON is a big helper there.

You can always tell using -vmstat- and -top- who's been awake and doing anything, or failing that,

using ps -ef, looking for either oracle owned processes, or else looking for the pmon you wish, will help; (assuming you have more than one instance on your box.)

ps -ef | grep SID

where SID of course represents your Oracle instance SID might also be of help.

Good luck!

RSH.