DML table purging; does partitioning make any difference?

From: David Van Zandt <dvanzandt_at_iquest.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 12:14:38 -0500

My team is "discussing" alternatives to the question of periodic data purges. Options include the old-fashioned removal of obsolete rows from tables by the DBA; adding application logic to have a user run a purge script; or do some something with partitioned tables, and drop older partitions as appropriate. This is not an Oracle app (10.7/11i), just home-grown code -- and Metalink fails to address the question.

At this time our tables are not partitioned (gasp). Would converting them buy us the ability to simplify the row deletion process?

TIA,
Dave Received on Sat Apr 20 2002 - 12:14:38 CDT