Re: 9.0.1 linux startup problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 18:58:12 +1000

Jared wrote:

> I had just completed installing an eval of 9.0.1 on Mandrake 8.2.
> Everything appeared to be in, no problems in the logs that I could
> see. I shutdown normally, then went to start up, when, wham! -
>
> ALTER DATABASE OPEN
> Fri Apr 19 14:16:11 2002
> Thread 1 opened at log sequence 13
> Current log# 1 seq# 13 mem# 0: /var/oradata/log/lab1_redo01a.log
> Current log# 1 seq# 13 mem# 1: /usr/oradata/log/lab1_redo1b.log
> Successful open of redo thread 1.
> Fri Apr 19 14:16:11 2002
> SMON: enabling cache recovery
> Fri Apr 19 14:16:12 2002
> Errors in file /home/oracle/admin/lab1/udump/ora_14222.trc:
> ORA-30012: undo tablespace 'RBS' does not exist or of wrong type
> Fri Apr 19 14:16:12 2002
> ****NOTE *************
> Error 30012 happened during db open, shutting down database
> USER: terminating instance due to error 30012
> Instance terminated by USER, pid = 14222
> ORA-1092 signalled during: ALTER DATABASE OPEN...
> *****************************
>
> Now during the install the undo tablespace took the name of my data
> tablespace (my own fault for playing with dbca instead of writing my
> own scripts), but I can't see why the datra dictionary shouldn't know
> about that.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this?
>
> TIA -
>
> Regards,
> jh

Yeah. Edit your init.ora so it says UNDO_MANAGEMENT=MANUAL. Force a startup using the pfile (i.e., you have to explivitly reference the pfile). Create a proper undo tablespace. Edit the init.ora so it references the undo tablespace you've just created. Startup again using the pfile. The create spfile from pfile. Then you're in business.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Apr 20 2002 - 03:58:12 CDT