possible/impossible query?

From: dxcreepin <dxcreepin_at_va.prestige.net>
Date: 19 Apr 2002 09:27:40 -0700

I am looking for guidance on a problem that has perplexed me for the past couple of months. Here is a description of what I have and what I am trying to do:

Table: INFO (all the columns are varchar(1) &#8211; in this example) Col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 col6 col7

  a     b      c      d      d      e      f
  a     b      c             g      h
  a     b      c             i
  1     2      3      4      5      6      7
  1     2      3      a             b      c
  1     2      3      d                    e
  z     y      x      w      v      u      t

The first 3 columns are not null and the remaining columns can be null. I am trying to develop a query and/or procedure/function/package to return this type result:

Col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 col6 col7

  a     b      c      d      dgi    eh     f
  1     2      3      4ad    5      6b     7ce
  z     y      x      w      v      u      t

If there are duplicates of the first 3 columns, the remaining rows with not null data will be concatenated together into one field. Eventually I would like to use this in Oracle Reports. If you are familiar with PVCS Dimensions, I am trying to emulate the behavior of thee unlimited text fields.

Can you please help me try to find a solution to this? Received on Fri Apr 19 2002 - 11:27:40 CDT