Re: SPFILE and rollback_segments parameter

From: Janne Keskitalo <Janne.Keskitalo_at_oulu.fi>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:32:24 +0300

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:a9osnj$i4v$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...
> I *DO* wish that people wouldn't just include error numbers and expect the
> rest of humanity to know the text of them all off by heart. What was wrong
> with including the "Oracle instance terminated: disconnection forced" text
> that I had to look up??

Due to localization the error message was in finnish and I don't have a Server Messages and Codes Manual in my hands right now. Should have looked it up though, you're right.

> I'm almost certain that if you did what the rest of the error message told
> you to do, you'd find the cause of the problem. Read the alert log, and
> you'll find a message along the lines that 'undo tablespace X doesn't
> exist'.

Nope, nothing about undo tablespace. It just doesn't like my rollback segments naming convention or something equally stupid.

Alert Log:

SMON: enabling cache recovery
Fri Apr 19 15:14:28 2002
Errors in file /oracle/app/oracle/admin/sordino/udump/sordino_ora_2991.trc:

ORA-01534: peruutussegmenttiä '(RBS01, RBS02, RBS03, RBS04)' ei ole olemassa (Translation: rollback segment '(RBS01, RBS02, RBS03, RBS04)' doesn't exist)

Fri Apr 19 15:14:28 2002
Error 1534 happened during db open, shutting down database USER: terminating instance due to error 1534 Instance terminated by USER, pid = 2991
ORA-1092 signalled during: ALTER DATABASE OPEN...

Parameters:

undo_management  string  MANUAL
undo_retention  integer  900
undo_suppress_errors  boolean  FALSE
undo_tablespace  string

> In other words (which pre-empted my next question) you are mixing 9i and
8i
> features. I suspect you've got an undo tablespace specified in the spfile,
> which doesn't actually exist. (Incidentally, why on Earth you are
bothering
> with old-fashioned rollback segments now you have 9i, I can't imagine).

No again, I don't have an undo tablespace anywhere. And I use rollback segments because I don't have any experience about undo tablespaces. Rollback segments have worked for me and this is a production database. I do my testing somewhere else.

Thanks for your productive input...

--
JKe