Re: separate data/inidex

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 21:28:56 +1000

There is precisely zero physical reason for separating indexes and tables, at least in routine database configurations. No performance gain arises if you do. There are real *management* issues (tables *need* backing up, indexes don't). And the rebuild command is fine to move the indexes somewhere else if you decide to do it; but then the 'alter table X move' command will do much the same by shunting the tables off somewhere new, too.

Regards