Re: migrating MS SQL Server database schema to Oracle 9i

From: Alex Ivascu <alexdivascu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 01:11:45 GMT

First create the schema owner (username) in Oracle. Give it the necessary permissions. Next, in SQL 2000 Enterprise manager (that's what I used), go and Right-Click on a database - select All Tasks - Generate Script - and give it a path where to save the output. Default is the screen. After you've accomplished that, take out all the [ ], and Collate..., change INT to INTEGER and BIGINT to NUMBER, nvarchar(??) to VARCHAR2(??), ntext to LONG or VARCHAR2(4000), nchar to CHAR, etc.... and run the script against the Oracle Database, as the user/schema owner created in the first step. There are quite a few other things that you'll realize along the way. So really, there isn't a straight forward way -- because, obviously, everyone's needs are different.

I had to go through this a couple of time (migrating from SQL Server to Oracle), and it's not that difficult after a while...

Good luck to you, and keep us posted.

Alex Ivascu