Re: Oracle Cold Backup

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 18 Apr 2002 11:54:13 -0700

irfan_pk_at_hotmail.com (Md Irfan) wrote in message news:<c42168e7.0204180626.eddd638_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> We take oracle cold backup like:
> after end of day shutdown the database
> use the dd command in unix to all the raw data files to tape and
> another
> location in raid. Is it a cold backup?
> Now I would like to know in case of recovery;
> a)what is the best way to recover. (we have archive logs), Is it that
> I have to restore the whole backup as of yesterday and apply today's
> archive logs. Will it get all the data.
> b)how is cold backup taken exactly, i know about hot backups.
> Thanks...
> Irfan

Irfan, what you have described sounds like a cold backup. I would suggest two things: 1- I haven't checked the most recent version of the DBA Admin Manual but in all prior releases it has had an excellent chapter on the subject so I would read it then See the Oracle Backup and Recovery Manual. 2- Once you have reviewed the above I would run a recovery using a test db.

Make a backup using dd
Bring the database up
Create/update an object in target tablespace (archive mode only) Wipe (remove or overlay) a data or index tablespace database file from the OS
Attempt to access an object in that tablespace (should get an error) Take the tablespace offline or shutdown the db Copy the backup file back in place of the missing/damaged file Bring it online/restart - run recovery

That should give you confidence in your recovery.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Apr 18 2002 - 13:54:13 CDT