Re: Hotbackup

From: Sean M <smckeown_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:16:11 GMT

Dusan Bolek wrote:

> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote...
> > Anyone, who already has RMAN (comes with Enterprise Edition), would
> > waster their time by writing their own conventional backup scripts.

> We're now testing a new backup system using maybe unconventional
> method. The advantage is nearly no time between begin and end backup.
> We're using O8i EE and the steps are:
> 1) Issuing begin backup to all tablespaces.
> 2) Disconnecting array mirror. (time < 1 minute)
> 3) End backup to all tablespaces.
> 4) Log switching, archiving current group as usual.
> 5) Moving new archived logs (only one) to disconnected mirror drives.
> 6) After ten hours of waiting for tabe, perform backup on disconnected
> mirror drives.
> 7) Reconnecting mirror.

This is a perfectly legitmate backup scenario, and one in which RMAN happens to provide little or no benefit. The fact remains that if you're using a split mirror or snapshot technology, you are still *required* to script an "alter tablespace begin/end backup" for all tablespaces before/after the snapshot or split. Hardly a waste of time.

Reagrds,
Sean Received on Wed Apr 17 2002 - 10:16:11 CDT