Re: 9iDB Security Hole?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:39:53 +0100

There are physical datastructures in the database which are not backwards compatible - for example if you try to take a database with unlimited extents back from 8 to 7 (I think those are the right numbers) by setting the compatibility, you find that the code recognises that the markers for unlimited extents exist in segment headers, but the version you are pretending do be isn't supposed to know how to use them.

Sometimes you can clean out the physical problem sometimes you can't.

The idea was good though - I tried the same with

    optimizer_features_enable=8.1.7
just in case - but it didn't work.

Latest news - I raised an iTAR with metalink pointing out that I couldn't use a 9i database in production with this bug in place. This is now with developers looking at a backport, but with no date for the backport currently predictable.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Author of:

Next Seminar - Australia - July/August

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

<3cbd8484$0$227$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...