Re: User friendly Help file for Oracle

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:58:18 GMT

The manuals are in html and while you can use the search function I usually just go to the book and chapter via the table of contents for each book. It is very fast and I don't get a ton of irrelevant stuff which is one reason I didn't like the sqlserver online docs I had to search and I would get a ton of hits. There is an index for each book and there is a master index across all books. It looks like an index in a book. The other reason I like it is that I have the complete documentation set on my hard drive. In years past I had to carry a load of books around - although that might do me some good health wise :-).

No, there isn't a native bit type. While you are at it you will need to look up what a sequence is (that's going to be the next question, you just don't know it yet). Also the concurrency models of the 2 systems are worlds apart and it behooves you to understand the difference. Finally, you don't need to create temp tables. Some helpful sites: otn.oracle.com
asktom.oracle.com (you will also see a small plug in the bottom right of the page for Tom's book which is excellent and well worth the money.) Jim