Re: Oracle 9i Standard vs Enterprise

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:11:12 +0100

"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:a9he4v0vne_at_drn.newsguy.com...
> In article <5d75e934.0204160243.62bc2c7b_at_posting.google.com>,
> edzard_at_volcanomail.com says...
> >
> >Hello Christian,
> >
> >The major difference is the price for the Oracle license. The
> >difference between Standard and Enterprise edition is almost a factor
> >ten!
>
> Sorry, can't let this one past without comment. The major difference is
not
> price, it's functionality. If you want the added functionality, then be
> prepared to pay more.

I agree. Especially as the price difference also isn't a factor of ten.

4 processor std edition total UK cost 46,432 gbp. 4 processor ee total UK cost 116,944gbp

so the factor is much closer to 2.5 times. I'd also comment that the above is based purely on Oracle store prices and doesn't include any bargaining with the sales rep.

The corollary of course is also that if you don't need the extra functionality don't pay for ee.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA