Crash Recoveries

From: Jonathan Bliss <bliss_jonathan_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Apr 2002 01:40:24 -0700

This isn't urgent, but I am curious. Oracle 8.1.7, NT4 SP6

I have a daily backup strategy that shuts down the database immediate, restarts the database runs an export, shuts down immediate again, stops the services, runs a full cold backup and then restarts the database.

Until recently I was using ORADIM and getting crash recoveries most days. I switched to SQL*Plus /nolog, connect inernal and scripts as I could find no way with ORADIM to startup restrict and wanted to have DBA only access as an extra protection during the export. I still get the following about once a month.
There is never a problem recovering, but why hasn't it gone down cleanly? Should I be looking for a problem that may be about to manifest itself? Running a search I only find references to shutdown abort or failures to recover.

Tue Mar 26 20:30:12 2002
alter database open
Beginning crash recovery of 1 threads
Tue Mar 26 20:30:13 2002
Thread recovery: start rolling forward thread 1 Recovery of Online Redo Log: Thread 1 Group 2 Seq 1322 Reading mem 0   Mem# 0 errs 0: D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\ORCL\REDO02.LOG Tue Mar 26 20:30:16 2002
Thread recovery: finish rolling forward thread 1 Thread recovery: 0 data blocks read, 0 data blocks written, 0 redo blocks read
Crash recovery completed successfully

Thanks

Jon Received on Wed Apr 17 2002 - 03:40:24 CDT