Re: Can the Oracle db_block_size be changed on an instance?

From: Howard Rogers <Howard.Rogers_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:57:23 +1000

8.0.6? Then the answer is most definitely no. Block size is set at database creation, so the only way to change the block size is to create a new database, and then start transferring data between the old one and the new (database links, perhaps; or export/import).

But presuming you set your original block size appropriately (ie, 8K if you're using file-system based datafiles), why would you want to change the block size anyway? If you picked any other block size, then fair enough -the need is clear.

When you get to 9i, then you can add in new tablespaces using different block sizes, if you really feel you have the need. I'd recommend you upgrade anyway, given that you are currently running on an unsupported version. Another thread elsewhere in this newsgroup, however, leads me to suggest that you upgrade in a couple of months' time.

Regards