Re: 9iDB Security Hole?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 05:42:48 +1000

I saw no indication of a back-port, but maybe Pete can correct me on that.

It's already happened on this newsgroup on the very same subject, so it's not that surprising: the implications of the bug are not obvious to everyone until you spell it out. I am guessing that the bug report didn't raise alarm bells because it reads as though it merely allows inconvenient access to EMP tables and the like. Someone didn't realise that it meant you could also wipe parts of the data dictionary, I think.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle : http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Jonathan Lewis wrote:
> >
> > In fact, there is a bug, which I couldn't find
> > last night - 2121935, dated December 2002 !!!
> >
> > Any ANSI join is a problem.
> >
> > But this isn't a reason for avoid ANSI syntax,
> > it's a reason for not migrating a production
> > system to 9.0.1
> >
> > --
> > Jonathan Lewis
> > http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
> >
> > Author of:
> > Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases
> >
> > Next Seminar - Australia - July/August
> > http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
> >
> > Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ
> > http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html
> >
> > Niall Litchfield wrote in message
> > <3cbbd589$0$238$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...
> > >"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > >This is the whole point of the thread. As described so far the use of
LEFT