ORA-07445: exception encountered: core dump [ptg_tx()+40]

From: G M <zlmei_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Apr 2002 10:15:27 -0700

Hi:

After migrating our oracle db from 8.1.6.0.0 to 8.1.7.0.0 on a Sun/Solaris box, we have encount some new core dump problem (interMedia text stuff related).

We have a perl script which has a loop

start loop

   # do something
   select refid from core_ref where contains (abstract, 'xyz')>0    # do something else
end loop;

The whole program usually run for 2-3 days. Sometime during the loop execution, the oracle would create a core dump and the perl program exit. We have never had this problem before. I also tried on another newly-created 8.1.7.0.0 db and the program seems to be running fine.

The table definition is:

SQL> desc core_ref;

 ----------------------------------------- --------
----------------------------
 REFID                                     NOT NULL NUMBER
 TITLE                                              VARCHAR2(1600)
 JOURNALID                                          NUMBER
 YEAR                                               NUMBER
 ABSTRACT                                           VARCHAR2(4000)

And the trace file is like:

We tried to put "Alter system flush shared_pool" in the loop and it does not seem to help. We are trying to disconnect-reconnect to see if it helps.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

My question are: Do you know what might cause this error? And is there a workaround?

TIA. Guang Received on Tue Apr 16 2002 - 12:15:27 CDT