Re: Problem with german: Umlaute

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 19:06:00 +0200

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 16:48:05 +0200, Franz-Josef Vorspohl <fj.vorspohl_at_gmx.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>we have a new installed Oracle 8.1.7 with the font WE8ISO8859P15.
>
>Now the main aplication dont work with the german umlauts like öäüß.
>
>The applications shows always '+' for a umlaut.
>
>Does anybody know which entries must be made at the Oracle 8.1.7
>exactly so that it would have to run?
>
>At the old 8.0.5 there were not any problems.
>
>Regards

If you didn't set the NLS_LANG environment variable or registry entry, the characterset will be set to US7ASCII.

In 8.0.5 your database was in US7ASCII and you didn't set NLS_LANG. This means Oracle just didn'tt check bit 8 at all. Hence, as your terminal supported 8-bit you didn't experience any problems. You were just lucky.

Conclusion: check NLS_LANG

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Apr 16 2002 - 12:06:00 CDT