Recover a DB from a hot backup.

From: François Bourdages <francois.bourdages_at_mobilair.qc.ca>
Date: 16 Apr 2002 06:54:35 -0700

Hi
(OS : Windows NT - Database standard 8.0.4)

Here is what I do for my hot backup :

0) delete of all the backup file in the "bkp_directory"
1) Rename of the archive file (*.arc) to *.old
2) Copy of the init*.ora file to the "bkp_directory"
3) Alter system switch logfile;
4) Hot backup of all the datafiles with :

   alter tablespace SYSTEM begin backup;    host start /wait c:\orant\bin\ocopy80.exe "datafile2backup" "bkp_directory"

   alter tablespace SYSTEM end backup;
   ... (for all the datafiles and tablesspaces) 5) Alter system switch logfile; (again)
6) Backup of all the controlfiles with :

    Alter database backup controlfile to 'bkp_dir\CTL1xxx.ORA' REUSE;     Alter database backup controlfile to 'bkp_dir\CTL2xxx.ORA' REUSE;     Alter database backup controlfile to trace 7) Copy of all the new archive file (*.arc) to the "bkp_directory" End.

Eventually , i delete the old archive file.
--> My Probleme is when i restore every thing on another server with
the same database in it.
Here is what i Do and the probleme :

  1. the Nt Service are OK with oradim.
  2. i Shutdown the database (shutdown immediate)
  3. I copy the CTL1xxx.ORA and CTL2xxx.ORA to the place specify by the "control_files" parameter int the init.ora
  4. I copy the init*.ora at the right place.
  5. I copy all the datafiles (for my SID and foir the system) at the right place.
  6. I copy all the backup archive at the place define by "log_archive_dest" in the init*.ora
  7. Now : Startup the database with "startup". Probleme 1 : the instance is not mounting well : ORA-00214 controlfile CTL2xxx.ORA version 2817 inconsistent with the file CTL1xxx.ORA version 2816

So : I remove the newer controlfile from my "control-files" parameter of my init*.ora, And I do another shutdown immediate - Startup. At this point, the instance mount ok.

Probleme 2 : but i receive the : Ora-01589 : must use RESETLOGS or NORESTLOGS option for database open. Normal you will say.

So : I do : alter database open RESETLOGS

Probleme 3 : I receive : ORa-01195 : online backup of file 1 needs more recovery to be consistent WHIT ora-01110 : system datafile.

So : I do : recover database.

Probleme 4 : I receive : ora-00283 : recover cancelled du to error And Ora-01610 : recover using the "BACKUP CONTROLFILE" must be done (normal again you will say)

So : I do : "recover database using backup controlfile"

Probleme 5 : Oracle ask me to apply all the archive file starting with archive 281. here is some detail : (of the instance backuped) Oldest online log sequence 280
Next log sequence to archive 282
Current log sequence 282

So : I apply archive 281. Oracle tell me that the "log applied" and that i don't need it anymore. But oracle ask me To apply archive 282. I dont have this archive. It is the current redo log file...???

So here are my questions :
  1. In probleme 1 : Why do i receive the : ORA-00214 ?
  2. Is this procedure of hot backup OK? if not, what would you change? What do I do wrong?
  3. in probleme 5 : Why does oracle dont tell me that "media recovery complete" ? --- Thanks in advance. I'm working on this for a week now and help would be usefull. Francois.