Re: Setup of a complete site failover

From: Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:42:15 +0200

> We have a core business application running on Oracle 8.1.7, running on a
> Suse Linux server. This application being business critical, we would like
> to have a complete and synchronous replication on another database located
> at another site (the 2 sites are linked via a full duplex 34Mbit link).
>
> In a first phase, there would be only one master, and we would have to
> switch to the alternate database in case of problem.
>
> Is there a functionality available for this in 8.1.7?
> Should we envisage to migrate to 9i?
> Are there products available ?

Do you know the concept of standby database? Your master has to run in archivelog mode (every production database should) and the archived redo logs are copied to the standby database which is in permanent restore mode. The standby database applies the redo logs and has the same data like the master. You can implement a time delay between archiving and applying the redo logs which has the advantage that you can interupt the process if a user makes a mistake (e.g. deletes all rows in the salary table). In the case of a master database problem you activate the standby database and users switch to it (can be configured in the listener settings). A standby database is quite easy to set up, Oracle 8.1.7 is fine, even it is only standard edition.

Regards,

Knut Received on Tue Apr 16 2002 - 05:42:15 CDT