Re: purchase options for 9i Standard Edition

From: Mark van Wolferen <mark.van.wolferen_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:10:45 +0200

Hong,

To answer your questions, see my reply in blue.

Hong Hsu wrote:

> I saw several purchase options for 9i Standard Edition, such as
> 4-year Named User $108, Concurrent Users, and 4-year Processor $9k.
> My questions are:
> 1. By using Named User choice, can same user login from different
> machines?

The current Named Users licenses are what we call "Multi Server licenses". This means that one individual has a license to use the Oracle program (in this case 9i Standard Edition) for the agreed term (4 years), regardless the number of machines this program is installed. So if you have the current Named User license you -one individual- can use this license to connect from x machines to x machines with 9i SE.

> How pricing of Concurrent User differ from Named User?

These are two completely different models. Concurrent Device is a Device (i.e. workstation, laptop etc.) licensing and Named User is a people licensing (i.e. individuals, employees etc.). So with regards to your example; Under a concurrent Device licensing you could only use 1 machine at the same time, under the Named Users licensing you can use as many machines as you like.

I would like to note the following:

     The Concurrent Device licensing does not exist anymore as a
     licensing metric within Oracle since December 1999 (unless it is
     defined in your existing agreement). Your current licenses are
     still valid of course but no new Concurrent Device licenses can be
     obtained. It is possible to migrate your Concurrent licenses into
     Named User licenses.

     If you use non human operated devices, the device will be counted
     as a Named User.

> 2. Does Processor choice independent from choosing Named Users, such as
> 2-Processor with 25 Named Users OR A Processor with 40 Named Users?

There is a licensing minimum for Oracle Database products. This minimum is linked to the number of processors.
For the Oracle Database Enterprise Edition this is 10 Named User per processor. and for the Oracle Database Standard Edition the minimum is 5 Named Users. As long as these minimums are met it does not matter how many processors you install (if licensed by Named User). For the Oracle Database Standard Edition I should note that it can only be licensed on servers that have a maximum capacity of 4 processors.

If you license based on a processor license there are no minimum requirements and you can deploy as many Named Uses as required.

> 3. Right now our server has dual Intel processors. Does that mean I
> have to purchase two Processor Licensing.

If you go for processor licensing: yes

> If later the server is added
> another two Intel processors, then the two Processor Licensing will stop
> working.

The licenses are machine/os independent, so if one machine with 2 proc. is stopped and replaced by an other machine with 2 proc. the licenses can be used on the other machine.

> Your help will be appreciated,
> -Hong

I hope this helps.