Re: JDBC: Connection object's Autocommit value for SELECT

From: AV <avek_nospam_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:41:34 -0400

Hello,

"Andre van Winssen" <andrew_at_info.nl> wrote in message news:a9faps$3te$1_at_news1.xs4all.nl...
> Thanks sofar, I'll explain further:
>
> > what is a DML ?
> that is something like INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE, anything that changes
> persistent data
> but without doing an implicit COMMIT (like CREATE/ALTER statements do)

DML==INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE/SELECT "commit" has nothing to do with DML

> >>Well, actually no. Oracle does not hold locks if you perform a select,
> >>so the commit is just ignored.
> About the locks you are right, as far as Oracle is concerned.

unless it is TRANSACTION_SERIALIZABLE tx level.

> The impact in
> oracle exists though,
> that's my point. I get these wait events because, I suspect, of the number
> of commits caused by the
> default JDBC driver behaviour.
> >>Yes, that means that you have to less rollback segments, or they are
> >>too small.
> I'm sorry to say, but this is nonsense

"control file parallel write" is about transactions. If there no information from your email about tx-isolation, than select can (!) start a transaction. It wan not a "nonsense" it was a guess.

I would suggest investigating what exactly camming out of websphere connection pool. Can you print-out values for --con.getTransactionIsolation();
--con.getAutoCommit() ?

Also, consider some caching mechanizm if data are mostly read-only.

AlexV.