Re: "OK" to loop on DBMS_SLEEP ???

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 18:34:29 GMT

I'm not the one with the issue but I hate cron. Error messaging is not nearly as robust as what is possible with DBMS_JOB and it leaves the application's error messages in multiple places. Also, it requires having one more skill set and more privileges which means more things that can go wrong or be done poorly.

Is there anything cron can do that DBMS_JOB with a bit of C or Java can't do better?

PS: The other thing I don't like about cron is that it is UNIX specific which means it can not be migrated to other platforms without a rewrite.

Daniel Morgan