Oracle on Intel vs. Oracle on Sparc

From: Robert Schultz <bert_at_ncinter.net>
Date: 15 Apr 2002 09:41:13 -0700

A product we are using requires a Oracle database. We are currently running Oracle 8 on a Sun 220R box.

We need to upgrade the hardware substantially in terms of CPU and hard drive space for an upgrade.

Due to financial limitations it does not appear as if we can continue with Sun Sparc hardware.

Thus we are looking to go with Intel hardware (Dell Servers).

I was wondering what sort of data or information any of you can share on performance issues.

Four Options:

1. Oracle on Solaris on Sparc Sun Servers
2. Oracle on Solaris on Intel Dell Servers
3. Oracle on Linux on Intel Dell Servers
4. Oracle on Windows 2000 on Intel Dell Servers

As mentioned before we don't have the funds to go with option 1. That leaves us with the remaining three options.

In terms of performance, we don't have a need to transfer a large amount of data.
It will be a lot more small little hits to the database.

Thus big data transfers won't be as common. So We're looking for more responsivness than large bandwidth transfers.

So could someone enlighten me on what sort of performance we can expect from these systems on those platforms? (options 2,3,4)

ALL advice is requested please. Received on Mon Apr 15 2002 - 11:41:13 CDT