distributed database with multimedia data

From: =/\\= Majki =/\\= <sp9wug_at_inetia.pl>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 18:20:33 +0200

Hi!
As a student project I have to create distributed database which serves multimedia. It must be possibility to extent SQL funtions, by writing my own functions with C, java or other language. Database will contain midi files, and new functions should add possibility to extract some information from this files. For example: user asks database about songs which use instrument named 'piano', but there is no such data in database, only midi files. These files could be stored as BLOB. New function would analize data stored in BLOB and return records which match.
The most important is that it must be distributed database. There should be one main server and a few other servers. User sends SQL question to main server. Main server checks which servers are online and sends them this question, next it receives answers and sends them to the user. I mean there is no replication. There is no server which have all data. Is it possible to do such database using Sybase or Oracle ? What programs, utilities etc. should I use ? Could someone help me please ? It is very important to me. Received on Mon Apr 15 2002 - 11:20:33 CDT