Deterministic functions not recognized by optimizer - will they ever?

From: Hans Henrik Krohn <hhk_at_tips.dk>
Date: 15 Apr 2002 06:58:06 -0700

I am surely not the last to find out that deterministic PL/SQL functions are not recognized as such by the optimizer, contrary to what I was led to expect on two grounds:

  1. using common sense, and
  2. reading chapter 9 of Application Developer's Gude - Fundamentals.

At least it doesn't give any performace gain on 8.1.5 and 8.1.7.2 on AIX, and according to bug # 2070151 on MetaLink it doesn't work in 9.0.1 either. Testcase is supplied below.

I am wondering whether any of you experts out there have any view upon whether it ever has worked or will work in the forseeable future?

Regards to all, Hans Henrik Krohn

TESTCASE, to be cut/pasted into sql*plus:

--4) That's all, Folks! Received on Mon Apr 15 2002 - 08:58:06 CDT