Re: what is your opinion about oracle replication?

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 14 Apr 2002 21:46:59 -0700

In article <5d75e934.0204140559.25b4e08a_at_posting.google.com>, edzard_at_volcanomail.com says...

>It works well.
>It has indeed a steep learning curve, when you are considering
>advanced (=multi-master) replication.
>DBA-Studio offers a convenient management tool and example install
>scripts are shipped with the product.
>I could not find any documentaion though on automized conflict
>resolution, had to find this by tral and error.

I'd be interested if you DID find anything about automatic (which I assume is what you meant by automized) conflict resolution. Conflict DETECTION is automatic, conflict RESOLUTION is not. Conflict resolution requires you to make a decision on who should win. To allow Oracle to do that automatically assumes Oracle knows who should win, which is never the case. What we provide instead is up to 8 (IIRC) conflict resolution methodologies that you can specify (LATEST/EARLIEST TIMESTAMP and so on) Oracle to apply automatically, but you have to do the specifying first.

>willjamu_at_mindspring.com (James Williams) wrote in message
>> On 13 Apr 2002 03:40:03 GMT, chao_ping <chao_ping_at_163.com> wrote:
>> It works well.
>>
>> Takes a little bit to setup. Oracle is putting more of it into OEM all
>> the time. Master/Snapshot , multiple masters, etc,. Many
>> combinations.
>>
>> >Hi, We are considering whether we should use replication in oracle
>> >system, to satisfy our enviroment. Not sure whether using dblink is
>> >better or refer to oracle replication. So, dear dbas, what about your
>> >experience about replication? Is it a good product? Is it stable? I need
>> >suggestion from your all.:) Thanks.
>> >

>> >--
>> >an oracle fan,
>> >an oracle beginner

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sun Apr 14 2002 - 23:46:59 CDT