Re: Change domain name in global name

From: Trifon Anguelov <trifona_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 04:07:52 GMT

Alan,

I am a bit confused what do you mean under global name: sid.blah.com

Is that DB_NAME, DB_DOMAIN or GLOBAL_NAMES parameter in init.ora?

For GLOBAL_NAMES parameter (TRUE|FALSE) use: ALTER SYSTEM | ALTER SESSION syntax.

For DB_DOMAN you have to edit init.ora file and restart the database.

For DB_NAME check the procedure on:
http://www.dbaclick.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=3cb72b672158ffff;act=ST; f=14;t=161

For GLOBAL_NAME parameter use:
alter database rename global_name to <newdb_name>.<domain>;

If you are reffering to GLOBAL_DBNAME in listener.ora file, then change the value of this parameter, stop/start the listener.

Hope that helps,

Trifon Anguelov
Senior Oracle DBA

http://www.dbaclick.com