Re: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

From: Trifon Anguelov <trifona_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:18:43 GMT

Jessica,

Most probably you did not setup Solaris kernel parameters for Oracle or you did set them up too low.

Open your /etc/system file and check:

  1. SEMNNS is the sum of the PROCESSES parameter for each Oracle database, adding the largest one twice, and then adding 10 for each database.
  2. SEMMSL is equal to the largest PROCESSES parameter of any Oracle database on the system plus 10.

Check the rest of the parameters according to the installation guide. You cab try first to lower your PROCESSES parameter in init$ORACLE_SID.ora file and try again.

Do not forget to reboot the Solaris box if you change /etc/system file. You cat get the current settings by running: $sysdef

Hope that helps,

Trifon Anguelov
Senior Oracle DBA

Check the latest Oracle DBA forrums for answer to your questions: http://www.dbaclick.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi