Re: Inserting columns into existing table

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 18:29:33 GMT

Oracle has no problem doing this if you give the new field a name.

CREATE TABLE newtab AS

   SELECT a, ' ' NEWCOL, b
   FROM oldtab;

The field type will be defined by the example. And likely you will get a VARCHAR2 rather than a CHAR which shouldn't matter, but if it does, can be easily dealt with using ALTER TABLE.

Daniel Morgan