What happens to transactions accessing a view during a REPLACE VIEW?

From: jim rowe <jimlorraine_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Apr 2002 10:43:44 -0700

Hi,

Suppose i have a simple view pointing to a simple table.

CREATE VIEW my_view AS (select column_a from table_a);

A high performance application is accessing this view thousands of times a second. It must run 24 * 7. They are read-only accesses.

I want to replace the view with the following command.

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW my_view AS (select column_b from table_b).

When i run this command, does the view suffer any 'downtime' during the changeover? Will the application be safely blocked from accessing the view during the transition, or will some of its accesses to the view fail?

What about transactions in progress on the view during the transition. Will they be allowed to complete, or will they fail?

Thanks for your help,
Jim. Received on Fri Apr 12 2002 - 12:43:44 CDT