Re: URGENT: Need to move TS from ufs to vxfs file system

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:14:32 GMT

when moving lots of file, recreating the controlfile is the easiest.

ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROL FILE TO TRACE; edit script spooled to either udump or bdump

shutdown the db
move files
run the script

On Thu, 04 Apr 2002 21:29:31 GMT, "koert54" <koert54_at_nospam.com> wrote:

>Nice ...
>So what does your DBA book say about moving datafiles from the system
>tablespace ? (which btw can't be taken offline when the database is open)
>1. shutdown the db
>2. startup mount (this does not open the datafiles, but opens init.ora
>(nomount) & controlfiles (mount)
>3. move the file (s)
>4. alter database rename file 'xxxxx' to 'yyyyy' ; (this updates the
>controlfile)
>5. alter database open (open the datafiles)
>6. Bada Bing
>
>notice the keyword 'file' in the 'alter database rename' command - so you
>can use it for either datafiles or redolog files ...
>
>So basically his procedure is correct (except for the 'alter files' command
>...) ...
>
>I can hardly believe that the book doesn't mention this as this is pretty
>basic stuff ...
>
>Kind regards
>Koert
>
>"damorgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
>> According to the DBA handbook the steps are:
>>
>> 1. Do not shut down the database
>> 2. Take the tablespace off-line
>> 3. Move the datafile(s)
>> 4. Use the ALTER TABLESPACE command to rename the file within the database
>>
>> 5. Bring the tablespace back on-line.
>>
>> This does not correspond with what you did.
>>
>> Reference: Oracle 8i DBA Handbook, Loney & Theriault, pg 138.
>>
>> Daniel Morgan
>>

>> Larry wrote:
>>
>> > I really need help! FAST!
>> >
>> > I have some large tablespaces I need to move from a ufs file system to
>> > a new-and-improved veritas file system. We are out of space and I
>> > have to get this done. I followed the instructions to do this task...
>> >
>> > shutdown
>> > copy dbf files to new location (I didn't move the files...)
>> > startup mount
>> > alter files '/v01/...' to '/v05/..'
>> > alter database open
>> >
>> > Problem is, when I run a query against a table that is in the
>> > relocated TS, the query just hangs. If I shutdown and put everything
>> > back the
>> > way it was, the query works fine.
>> >
>> > I am running Oracle 8.1.7.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts?

We use Oracle 8.1.6-8.1.7 on Solaris 2.6, 2.7 boxes

Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 750-3630
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email