Re: help: how do you rename a primary key

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 11 Apr 2002 11:59:21 -0700

In article <3CB5D01F.80904_at_OracleCare.Com>, Svend says...

>Joe Sath wrote:
>
>> Hi, Folks
>>
>> I need to rename a primary key with a unick index. The table is big, if I
>> drop the primary key and then rebuild it with "using index", it will take a
>> while.
>>
>> Is there any way we can just rename it like we rename a index?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>

>Yes, log in as sys, update con$ set name = new_name
>where con# = (select con# from con$
> where owner = 'constraint_owner'
> name = 'old_name')
>
>There is a unique index i_con2 on con$ (con#)
>and a unique index i_con1 on (owner, name)
>
>These cant be rebuild, they are part of instance warmstart, as you can
>se from bootstrap$
>
>I have used this method on 8.1.7 without any negative impact. But only
>if the need is there and no other solution could be applied while
>'business as usual' was ongoing.
>
>rgds
>
>/svend

No, no, no, no, no! Never advise someone to do a direct update of the base data dictionary tables. You will never get help from Oracle Support again for that database if they find out.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Thu Apr 11 2002 - 13:59:21 CDT