Re: Oracle 9iAS vs the web server delivered with the database

From: Andrew Hardy <nobody_at_spam.from.news.AdvanticaTech.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:21:42 +0100

"John MacAskill" <jmacaski_at_bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:bfnabusb24cbs8seea77go28gaf7q41b89_at_4ax.com...
> I'm assuming that you are looking for web functionality. 9iAS offers
features
> like -
> -Web cache
> -BC4J
> -OC4J
> -Full J2EE support
> -etc

But doesn't the Apache HTTP server delivered with EE have most of these - apart from the web cache?

> If you are looking for a bog standard web interface to the database go
> Enterprise edition. But if you are looking to do anything, how can I say
this,
> USEFUL then go with iAS.
>
> You need to ask yourself the question - Do I need an application server?

Indeed... We'd only be looking at using Web PL/SQL, so anything that can support that would be OK - either mod_plsql on Apache or the Oracle plug-on for IIS.

Andy Received on Thu Apr 11 2002 - 07:21:42 CDT