Re: using decode in procedure

From: Mark <markg_at_mymail.co.uk>
Date: 11 Apr 2002 01:41:47 -0700

You seem like you are new to Oracle, hence the INNER JOIN etc syntax, Forgive me if you are not.

If you havent declared your SQL as a cursor, you need to select your values 'into' variables or a record.

Assuming your are expecting ONE row from your query try the code below. If not, i suggest you find an Oracle PL/SQL book and look at Cursors and Cursor For Loops.

DECLARE

   v_Parent_Organisations VARCHAR2(100);
   v_divisions  VARCHAR2(100);
   v_division_codes  NUMBER; -- ???

BEGIN   Select

     decode (a.Description, 'Company Wide','Corporate',a.Description) Parent_Organisations,

     c.Description Divisions,
     c.Code Division_Codes
  INTO
     v_Parent_Organisations,
     v_divisions ,
     v_division_codes

  FROM tblLUBusinessGroup a, tblDivisionLink b, tblLUDivision c   WHERE b.Business_Group_Code = a.Code
  AND c.Code (+) = b.Division_Code
  ORDER BY
     a.Description, c.Description;
  ..