Re: PCTFREE=0 and updates

From: Sybrand Bakker <Guest.2xi0p_at_timelimit.pandora.be>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 04:39:45 GMT

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:23:56 GMT, "Robert Eden" <rmeden_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>If I only update statically sized columns in a table ( NUMBER, CHAR
(not
>VARCHAR)) can I sent PCTFREE to 0 to avoid the (default) 10% waste?
(no
>nulls involved)
>
>The Oracle docs aren't clear on the types of operations that change
"row
>size".
>
>Robert

number is not statically sized.
Any operation that would make any column at least one byte longer will affect the rowsize.
Decreasing PCTFREE to 0 will likely result in chained rows (ie rows in more than 1 Oracle block)
The effect of chaining on performance is big enough to avoid reducing PCTFREE to 0. Please reconsider.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

--
Sybrand Bakker - Unregistered User
View this thread: http://homer-w2k:7802/baanboard/showthread.php?threadid=7606