Re: 4Gb memory

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 10 Apr 2002 17:14:56 -0700

norwoodthree_at_my-deja.com (NorwoodThree) wrote in message news:<ba03e2c.0204101005.4fca6240_at_posting.google.com>...
> Operating system opinions aside, you should post your question to the
> appropriate Windows newsgroup to get your Windows questions answered.

Actually, opinions about operating systems are absolutely irrelevant in this case. Although I like NT a lot, I have to recognize where its limitations are.

Either the OS supports >4Gb addressing or it doesn't. Period. NT (in any flavour) does not support more than 4Gb main memory and does not allow more than 3Gb of those 4Gb to be used by ANY program. Very simple.

If that is desirable or not is completely secondary. Fact is: it doesn't. Fact also is that most Unix OS do support 64-bit addressing.

No opinions here, just the hard facts. If I had mentioned opinions, I might have advised to stick with NT no matter what, as I prefer it to Unix. But not recognizing its limitations would have been a dis-service to the person asking the question.
Cheers
Nuno Souto Received on Wed Apr 10 2002 - 19:14:56 CDT