Re: Naming convention?

From: TurkBear <jgreco1_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:55:09 -0500

Try posting in one group only, please..

Oracle Corp, which does like to set standards ( see OFA ), does not, wisely, set naming standards for those things, but, if you do not name them the Oracle database tools will name indexes ( and maybe sequences, I'm not near my desk) for you ( with truly ugly, IMHO, names).

There are relationships between indexes and tables ( obviously) so our org uses part of the table name with the column name or names to build index names and begin them all with I_ - same with sequences (S_ ) - Column names reflect their contents ( at least in our org) - Empl_nm ,Empl_Nbr, etc ... hth
( by the way, what do you mean by a global namespace? )